Monday, April 5, 2010

Monday, April 5 – Legislating and Endorsing

We’re in the home stretch.

With one week left in the session, two of my bills require some legislating to become law.

We hope to amend the bill authorizing a court to issue a restraining order to prevent certain election law violations. If the House makes that change, then the Senate will have to do so as well.

A Senate hearing tomorrow for my legislation to aid credit card customers and other consumers by requiring organizations that perform arbitration activities to disclose the outcome of the decisions they have reached, the fees they are paid, and their ties to the businesses that select them. Word is that several lobbyists have been hired to defeat my proposal.

I met with the committee chair to outline what the bill would do and why it’s needed. He promised us a fair hearing.

After the session ends, serious campaigning will begin.

This weekend, I received my first candidate questionnaire from an interest group. I found it odd, if not inappropriate, to remind us that endorsements are coming while bills are still pending.

No comments:

Post a Comment