Friday, April 9, 2010

Thursday, April 8 – Play Ball!

Several weeks ago, I asked the Clerk’s Office if I could give the opening prayer for the House on Passover and Opening Day of the baseball season. Turns out they already had me listed.

I had written the baseball prayer in my mind’s eye before my father passed away.

Some personal moments that I hope are universal:

Baseball is…

Waiting for your father to come home from work, so you can play catch in the back yard;

Meeting Casey Stengel in the dugout at Memorial Stadium and impressing him that a 10-year old knows that you score a short to second to first double play: 6-4-3;

Being cut from the junior varsity baseball team in high school after batting practice because you ducked on every curve ball;

Asking Earl Weaver to autograph a photo for the Speaker and he writes, “Mike, Pass Sandy’s bills, Earl.”;

Having your father in the stands this past July when your team won the league championship; and

Hoping that the House – and the Judiciary Committee, adjourn in time today for you to hear the umpire say, “Play ball!”

No comments:

Post a Comment