Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Some other intrigue

The Second Amendment Sisters were absent.

Mayor Dixon was testifying on her bill to increase the amount of prison time served for the illegal possession of a regulated firearm.

But where was the opposition?

One thing I’ve learned during my five years on the Judiciary Committee: the Second Amendment Sisters and other gun owners have far more passion and stamina than the advocates for gun control.

Since the Mayor’s bill had been before us last year, I checked the witness list. No one opposed the bill that time either.

I guess it didn’t pass because of some other intrigue.

----

I got an answer from the Attorney General’s Office to my Ledbetter question, and it’s favorable.

It is my view that the courts are not bound by the holding in Ledbetter in interpreting Maryland laws, but they have frequently looked to federal law in interpreting the State’s employment discrimination laws, and they could do so in this context.

No comments:

Post a Comment