Monday, February 2, 2009

Visualizing an Issue

I always try to have a witness who can personalize the issue my bill addresses.

This person will benefit from the legislation or has been harmed by the situation I’m trying to correct.

It’s far more effective than my speaking in abstract terms about the problem.

Today I realized I have a bill I can visualize.

I met with a woman whose landlord has prohibited her and others from having a sukkah outside her apartment. In observance of the harvest festival, Jews eat their meals in a sukkah.

They’re don’t inconvenience any other tenant and cost the property owner nothing.

Photos of these sukkahs will help tell the story at the hearing on my bill to require a landlord to make reasonable accommodation for tenants’ religious expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment