Monday, January 12, 2009

Concentrating the Mind

This Wednesday, January 14, is the first day of the session, but that’s a ceremonial occasion. January 27 is the more important date looming on the legislative calendar.

It’s the Bill Request Guarantee Date. That’s the last day I can ask that legislation be drafted and know that it will be ready in time for me to meet the next deadline – on February 12.

If I introduce my bills by that date, they will get a public hearing before one of the six standing committees in the House of Delegates. No such guarantees for legislation put in the hopper after 2/12.

Nothing concentrates the mind like a hanging, wrote Samuel Johnson, the 18th Century English author. In Annapolis, nothing concentrates the mind like a bill hearing. Everyone who would be affected by your legislation has an opportunity – and an obligation, to make their views known.

Twice last week, I ended meetings by saying, “Get back to me before January 27. If I need to introduce a bill to address the problem we’re discussing, I’ll still have time to do so.”

Most of my many bill requests were made weeks – or even months, ago. But some won’t be executed until January 27.

No comments:

Post a Comment