Monday, January 19, 2009

Moved by the music

It wasn’t as cold as I thought it would be Saturday afternoon on the steps of the War Memorial.

Granted, I was wearing more layers of clothing than I ever have.

Nor was the event as emotional as I thought it would be. Nonetheless, I emailed a friend, “Very glad I went.”

What did move me this weekend was music on Sunday.

“Lift Every Voice and Sing” at the Mass at All Saints Church and “We Shall Overcome” at Bethel AME’s joint service with Oheb Shalom Congregation.

In the afternoon, I was surfing between football and the pre-Inaugural concert at the Lincoln Memorial.

I was hoping I’d catch Stevie Wonder, and I did.

I didn’t expect to hear Pete Seeger, blacklisted in the 1950’s, singing "This Land Is Your Land" with his grandson and Springsteen.

Shades of Marian Anderson on the same steps. J. Edgar Hoover must be turning over in his grave.

No mention of Seeger in the Baltimore Sun’s account today.

I guess you have to be my age to appreciate Seeger’s being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment