Thursday, January 15, 2009

My first day in school

Today began my 27th year as a member of the House of Delegates. For two former colleagues I spoke with, Clay Mitchell and Nancy Kopp, this was their 39th opening day in Annapolis. Or first day in school, as a younger, parenting staffer termed it.

I began the day with my annual cholesterol binge of eggs and hash browns at Chick and Ruth’s Deli. I asked the owner what the prices were 26 years ago when my family joined me to start this tradition, hoping he might give me a 1983 discount, but no such luck.

At work, I put two bills in the hopper, decided not to introduce one, and was asked about another by two lobbyists who will oppose it.

House Bill 57 would refer to family planning counseling and services a person whose parental rights have been terminated or has been found guilty of child abuse or neglect.

The logic: if a court of law has found someone not capable of raising children, the state should encourage that person not to have more children – without violating that individual’s religious beliefs.

House Joint Resolution 1 is the Jim McKay Maryland Million legislation.

The bill I won’t be introducing would have required a court to give notice to the media before issuing a gag order, which prohibits the parties in a case from speaking to the press. A law isn’t necessary, two newspaper lawyers told me this afternoon, because reporters learn about these gag orders anyway.

Lastly, twice today lobbyists asked if I would be reintroducing my legislation to make lead paint manufacturers liable for the harm they’ve done to children based on each company’s share of the marketplace.

“No, but we will,” I replied.

More homework to be done. Today’s only the first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment