Thursday, January 15, 2009

A "Reasonable" Accommodation

It depends on what the meaning of “reasonable” is?

The owners of an apartment or condominium will have to make reasonable accommodations for the religious practices of residents of the building – if my legislation is adopted.

I didn’t originate the phrase “reasonable accommodation.” It’s been part of our civil rights laws for 40+ years. However, the meaning it has been given in court cases dealing with fair housing differs from that used in cases involving access for the disabled.

For myself and the lawyers in the room today, the question was this: Which meaning will better protect the religious practices of residents AND be accepted as a reasonable solution by the members of the General Assembly?

Details when the bill is introduced.

P.S. Interest in my lead paint bill is unabated.

Two more lobbyists asked me about it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment