Thursday, January 22, 2009

Exceptions to the rule

Asking other members to co-sponsor your bill is the biggest waste of time in Annapolis – except when it isn’t.

As I’ve written in the past, getting your colleagues to scribble their initials on your legislation has little, if any, impact on the committee that will hear your bill. But there are exceptions.

Last year, I was the lead sponsor of the death penalty repeal legislation in the House. This year, Governor O’Malley is introducing the bill. My name will be listed second.

One of the Governor’s lobbyists asked me today if I wanted to walk the bill around and get co-sponsors to sign on.

After hesitating for a moment, I said, “Last year it was a high when I was gathering names on the House floor and people asked to cosponsor the bill who had not in the past. I’ll do it.”

If we get additional co-sponsors again this year, it will generate some momentum for repeal.

A great deal of momentum was generated today for my legislation to rename the Maryland Million in memory of its originator, Jim McKay.

After the hearing on the companion bill in the Senate this afternoon, the motion to give the bill a favorable report was unanimously approved.

I turned to Joe Kelly. He and McKay were the announcers for the first telecast of a horse race on local tv – sixty years ago.

“It’s not usually a sprint in Annapolis,” I said in a stage whisper.

Except, I could have added, when it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment